How to add WebTestWebService plugin to webtest exported from fiddler

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I am testing web performance of a web application by recording the actions using fiddler and exporting them to Visual Studio as a webtest. The application uses web services, so I have downloaded the WebTestWebService plugin. If you create the web test using Visual STudio itself, then it prompts for the plugin. My question is how do I add this plugin to the webtest in visual studio after recording it in fiddler?
Editor
Jun 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Once you import it is it a WebTest? If so you should be able to just right click the name of the WebTest in the WebTest editor and choose add web-test plugin. I've never had the need to use fiddler, so I don't know anything about what an imported WebTest looks like.

Thanks!
Ken
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Ken, Fiddler can generate the .webtest file from the recorded requests in Fiddler. In essence they are the same as normal webtests, but with all the requests already filled in. see also: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstswebtest/thread/0dfb9378-85d0-4226-abc9-2ffaab6fed3f

I however have the same problem that I cannot seem to add an XPathExtractionRule.

If I add a new webtest using the VS UI, I get a popup window asking me if I want to enable the WebTestRecorderPlugins. But recording (using VS2010/WIN7/IE 10) does not seem to work at all.

Even if I then add some requests manually, I never get to see any of the new extraction rules. If I use the 'Add Web Test Plug-in' menu, it pops up a message stating 'Plug-in Class Not Found'.
Editor
Jun 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Is this a Silverlight app? Or something else? The webtest plugin was built primarily to work with Silverlight apps.....

If you cannot record with Visual Studio, it makes me wonder what the browser based app is doing. Or is it a desktop client instead of a web app? Almost everything fiddler would pick up, Visual Studio should do also.....

Thanks!
ken
Jun 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Thanks for the response. The application I am testing is a HTML5 based web application and the preferred browser is Chrome. So I have to record test in fiddler and then export it to visual studio as a webtest. When I open the webtest in VS and right click to add plugin, it gives assembly reference error. In general, if I record the test from VS directly, I get prompted for plugin. So I am still trying to figure out how to add that plugin once exported webtest is opened in VS.
Editor
Jun 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Ahh, and assembly reference error. What version of the plugin do you have installed? It sounds like it is not in the Global Assembly Cache....

Thanks!
Ken
Jun 18, 2013 at 4:15 AM
I have installed version 10.0.30521.0 Do I have to install the latest version or is there a specific version that works with HTML5 as well?