Possible to extract URL parameters with this plugin?

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I am creating webtests for loadtesting in Visual Studio 2010.

I want use an extraction rule to extract some parameters from a URL in a webtest.

eg: domainname/page?id=1&name=2

Here I want to extract the value of "id" and "name" and store them in context parameters, to be passed along in subsequent requests.

Does your plugin do this?

Thank you
Editor
Feb 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Although I am not one of the team members, but rather a user of this projects code (primarily becasue our app uses silverlight heavily), I can give you a pointer. The regular expression option is one that you should be able to do this with. I'm not a regular expression expert so you would have to seek someone out that is. There is one that posts occasionally over in the testing forums in MSDN that you could try and contact.

Becasue I usually am in binary bodies where it is XML, I usually use xpath to get what I need....

Thanks!
Ken
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Hi and thank you for replying.

I have used the Extract Regular Expression feature but only to extract some text from the page, not from the URL. Any idea how I can reference the parameters in the URL?

Thanks
Editor
Feb 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM
There is a programmatic way to get that information. It's described on page 39 of the Visual Studio Performance Testing Quick Reference Guide (http://vsptqrg.codeplex.com/). There are also other references in thier about the URL and other properties you can pull out. A good guide.

Thanks!
Ken
Feb 19, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Thank you for the tip Ken!